Warning: This simple and delicious dish is extremely craveable! One of our favorite styles of cooking at home is big flavors with minimal effort and this dish has that in spades. I would argue that even if you have a non-lentil fan in your home that this rich and flavorful soup will win them over with it’s comfort food sensibilities of bright flavors paired with thick and hearty textures (and a tiny bit of spice, you can always finish with more sauce if you are a heat seeker.) Please give it a try and let us know your thoughts!
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 28 ounce can whole tomatoes, plus juice
- ¾ cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ cup Red Chili Lime Marshall’s Haute Sauce
- 10 ounces fresh tortellini
- 4 big handfuls of spinach, chiffonade (thinly sliced)
- Optional: Grated parmesan cheese to finish
- In a large stock pot over medium high heat, add the stock and tomatoes (using your hands to squeeze and break them up into the pot).
- Bring to a boil, once boiling add lentils. Cover and turn the heat down to medium, cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid, using a wooden spoon scrape any stuck lentils off the bottom of the pot. Add salt, curry powder, paprika, Red Chili Lime sauce, and tortellini. Stir, cover and continue to cook according to tortellini recommendations (about 4 minutes).
- Remove lid, add spinach, and stir. Allow to cook a few minutes.
- Serve with optional parmesan cheese. Perfect with crusty bread and a simple salad.