Habanero Carrot Curry Lentil Summer Rolls
Summer Rolls (No I am not referring to what I have from all the pizza I’ve been eating.)
Although you could use that “No it isn’t that I didn’t workout prior to swimsuit season. I was working on my summer rolls. These are my trophies. I earned these mouth battling pizza and beer all winter. VICTORY IS MINE!!!” (Then frantically jiggle said salad rolls as you back out of the room.) Now, what was I going to talk about? Oh yes, I know that I have said previously that I get insecure in the kitchen and that I need specificity in recipes. While that is true. Some recipes are specific in just the right areas and as long as you abide by those rules then everything will workout just fine. Well today’s recipe is one of those.
Look, it has really been hot lately. That coupled with the fact that we are always on the go either to the kitchen or dropping our little one off at grandma and grandpa’s house makes it hard to find something to eat. Especially something quick, healthy, and portable. Well, this recipe is all three of those things plus it is highly customizable.
Normally for a quick portable lunch I would say a favorite is a burrito. Also something I think of eating in the summer is a salad roll. Well this recipe is somewhere in between and is both refreshing on a hot day and quite filling.
Habanero Carrot Curry Lentil Summer Rolls
- 3 Tbs Marshall’s Haute Sauce Habanero Carrot Curry (You could substitute Red Chili Lime or Serrano Ginger Lemongrass or whatever your favorite Marshall’s Haute Sauce happens to be.)
- 1 cup carrot diced small (I prefer rainbow carrots as they are prettier and you will see the insides of the rolls thru the rice paper wrapping.)
- 1 cup Cucumber diced small (aim for the carrots, cucumber, and avocado to be the same size. slightly larger than the lentils)
- 1 avocado (diced small like above vegetables)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked/cooled lentils (again for aesthetic purposes I’d recommend red or orange over green or brown)
- 1 Tbs Sesame Oil
- Fresh Cilantro (leaves only)
- 2 Green onions sliced (if possible on a bias so it looks nicer)
- Fresh Basil (You can either tear the leaves or leave them whole if you prefer.)
- 6 Rice Paper Wrappers
- First cook the lentils so that they can cool while you prep your veg.
- Add sesame oil & Habanero Carrot Curry sauce to the lentils. Stir and set aside to cool.
- Dice your carrots, cucumber, and avocado then set aside.
- Wash your desired herbs and set aside to dry.
- Now place a clean dish towel down. This is where you will lay the softened rice paper so that you can fill it.
- Put enough warm water in a bowl that you can submerge a sheet of the rice paper. I used a large plate which helped the rice paper from folding in on itself.
- Working one sheet at a time, submerge a sheet for under a minute. You will feel it soften and become pliable. Then place it on the towel.
- Now the center of the roll will be the top so place a few pretty herbs down and pic some of the prettier carrots and green onion. Then add 1/4 cup of the lentils. At this point you can just play favorite as you are filling the roll. A little of this and a little of that. Trust me you’ll get the hang of it.
- Next fold the top over the filling. Then bring one side in and then fold the bottom up and lastly fold the remaining side in. Now the goal is to get the summer roll as tight as possible. That is why our filing is close to the same size. However, don’t expect the first one to be incredible looking. Don’t fret it will still be delicious. Once one is full you can either wrap it in cellophane or move it to a plate to consume presently.
- What I like about this recipe is the earthy lentils mixed with fresh veg, perfumed with sesame oil, and popping with the brightness of the Habanero Carrot Curry. The cucumber and avocado are quite refreshing as well. You can sub out the carrot and cucumber for whatever vegetables you like but remember that the Haute sauce and the avocado are the spicy and creamy elements. They are what keep you from needing to dip these in something. Its all inside the roll!
Well, I hope you like these and share your experiences or substitutions with us on FB, Ig, or twitter. Until next time!