Taco Post!!! Veggie Double-Deckers or Simple Ground Beef?
Everyone loves a taco party!
I will keep this brief. Sometimes you need some vegetables in your life and
sometimes you need some fun in your life. This recipe lets you double down on
both. We all love a good taco. We also like to feel as if we ate something that
was good for us. These double-decker tacos are fun and filling in the best
possible way. Plus, they are highly customizable. My favorite thing about
these tacos is that the avocado is the base layer, so you have cool refreshing
avocado, crunchy roasted garbanzo beans and the fun toppings creating a
layered effect, with a few black beans in every bite. Delicious!
Vegetarian Double-Decker Tacos
1 large ripe avocado
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
¼ cup Habanero Carrot Curry (Marshall’s Haute Sauce)
4 hard taco shells
4 flour tortillas (make sure they are similar in size to the hard shells)
1- 15 ounce can of Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1- 15 ounce can of Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
Additional sauces like Red Chili Lime (Marshall’s Haute Sauce)
Shredded Lettuce or Purple Cabbage
Cilantro or Basil
1. Preheat oven at 375. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine garbanzo beans, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and the Habanero Carrot
Curry sauce. Stir to coat and pour onto the lined baking sheet. Spread them out on the pan, so
they bake evenly. Bake for 30 minutes. Stirring every 10 minutes, until warm and golden.
3. Add the black beans, cumin, oregano, and salt to a medium pan. Stir over low heat, until the
flavors incorporate and the beans are warmed through.
4. Mash the avocado in a bowl with the remaining lime juice and set aside.
5. Use this time to prep any additional toppings and set them in small bowls for easy
customization during plating.
6. Once black beans are warmed through, mash them with a potato masher until they are a thick
paste and transfer them to a bowl.
7. After 3o minutes, remove the garbanzo beans from the oven and transfer to a plate.
8. Place the crispy shells and the flour tortillas on the pan and put the pan back in the oven. This will just warm them and impart a little magic flavor. After 2-3 minutes, remove the shells and begin assembly.
9. Spread a liberal amount of black beans on a flour tortilla, set a crispy shell in the center and fold the sides of the soft tortilla so that it hugs the crispy shell. Add a layer of avocado to the inside of the taco to form a base (This layer will hold your garbanzo beans in place.) Add a few tablespoons of garbanzo beans. Next top with any optional toppings and repeat with the next double-decker taco. Eat immediately.
It would not be a taco party without many tacos!
Tacos are a wonderful meal. A fun choose your own adventure that is both delicious and highly customizable. The most important part of the taco is the base. You want good flavor at the center of the taco and then you can dress it however you like! This recipe will help you achieve just that and more.
Beef Soft Tacos
1 pound lean ground beef
¾ cup Red Chili Lime Marshall’s Haute Sauce
1 tablespoon Sandwich Rub Marshall’s Haute Spices (or 1 teaspoon each Kosher
Salt, Oregano, Cumin, and chili flakes)
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Yellow Onion, Chopped
1 tablespoon butter
Grated Cheddar Cheese
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add onion and sauté 3-5 minutes until soft.
3. Add ground beef and break up large pieces of meat as it cooks.
4. Once the meat is browned, about 5 minutes, add the dried spices and
continue to stir and cook for 1 minute.
5. Add Red Chili Lime Marshall’s Haute Sauce then reduce heat to low and
simmer for 10 minutes. Continuing to stir as needed to avoid sticking.
6. Melt butter in a separate pan over med-high heat. Add tortillas one at a time
for about 30-45 seconds per side.
7. Fill the tortilla with the beef mixture and top with desired toppings. Serve with
additional Marshall’s Haute Sauce (Because why not?) Enjoy!